Sunday 28 August 2011

WHAT CAN I GIVE YOU IN RETURN, O KRSNA ?


O Krsna, what is your heavenly pastime?
In Vaikuntha, how do you perform activities sublime?
When do You work, when do You enjoy leisure?
When do You rest or enact activities of pleasure? 

To provide every creature his daily food, You never forget
O Vishnu, You ensure that everyone’s material needs are fully met
Be it an ant, a whale, or any other being of material creation
Each and every one is looked after by your grace and disposition 

Whereas every creature has assumed a material body due to past karma
Your body is spiritual, O Narayan, because you are beyond kaal and karma
Kaal and karma are both under the supreme control of Your holy writ
You are the master and last refuge of both matter and spirit

You had descended to earth, O Krsna, O supreme Lord and Master
By Your own internal potencies, of the various devtas the only Controller   
Though at such times, You occasionally assume a human form
To give Your devotees pleasure, wonderful pastimes You do perform

Wherever and whenever there is a decline in religiosity, O Lord 
You descend to earth, to deliver the pious, O supreme God
To annihilate the miscreants, the sudarshan chakra You do empower
To bless and protect Your devotees, You carry a conch and a lotus flower

Me and my measly activity are all under the spell of material nature
Where do I stand in comparison with even one of your heavenly feature?
Whereas everyday, you care for the trillions of creatures in this macrocosm    
How many do I care for, even if, beside myself, I do think of any other living form  

Please let me offer you a small and simple bit of food
So that in this world of sin and discord, I can do my bit of good
This little service can never equal Yours in love or generosity
Nor in any way come close to Your eternal spiritual potency

Please let me wash away my mediocre thoughts and inanity
By connecting with You, O Krishna, in love and service, with humility
In proximity to Your Holy Name and timeless opulence
So that, in this life, I can rise above my inane presence 

- Gautam Saha.

No comments: